"Our Time of Troubles... commenced with the catastrophic events of the year of 1914... Our civilization has just begun to recover." - Arnold Toynbee

Friday, September 16, 2016

Flora 101

It has been a grey, windy, and wet day out (about 51 degrees in the afternoon). I took the opportunity to begin comparing English vegetation to our own...

 Most on a birch (silver)
 Wild blackberries
 The hedge by the gate
 I think this is the Rowan tree, that is the mountain ash, bearing the red berry
 I found this wide-leafed grass unfamiliar...
 ...and this grassy stalk
 Fern under the Rowan
 Wild thorny brambles (berries, I think)
 Some black seed-pod grass
 ???
 The woods; I wish I could transmit the smells; something unlike anything I've yet smelled. I'll try to think of an association.

The sounds of the wood...


Walking through them...

No comments:

Post a Comment