"Our Time of Troubles... commenced with the catastrophic events of the year of 1914... Our civilization has just begun to recover." - Arnold Toynbee

Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Thesis Correspondence XIII: Replies

 I often walk by this magnificent structure, Warriner Hall, administration building at CMU (click on photo to look at it up close).





Here is an email reply from Dr. _____, regarding my thesis prospectus:

Have you looked at Keith Brown’s Noble Power in Scotland from the Reformation to the Revolution (2007)?

My reply:

Wow, from a summary, it seems to explain the principle that I've seen in the Stuart correspondence: namely that the Stuart monarchy expected more loyalty in the Scottish rather than English nobility (and particularly Highland culture). I want to further say that the Stuarts wished to restore the feudal pageantry (or decorative culture) of the power of the Scottish lords, hence the Classic myth making of "ancient kingdom" building.

I'll get the book, and read it. Talk with you soon!
Wesley

No comments:

Post a Comment