"Our Time of Troubles... commenced with the catastrophic events of the year of 1914... Our civilization has just begun to recover." - Arnold Toynbee

Thursday, April 20, 2017

Tour of Edinburgh I: The Scott Memorial

Edinburgh was more austere than I expected; endowed with a strong sense of eighteenth century self-glory. After all, it was the city that gave birth to the modern economy...

 First glimpses of Scotland...




















 My favorite piece of architecture in Edinburgh. The Scott Memorial was the only piece of real imagination in the city. And it was personal to me, because Walter Scott reinvigorated my imagination during my early university days. From the heights of this monument, I saw the meadows of Michigan where I read with such vivid excitement The Lady of the Lake.






























 Overlooking the station and Arthur's Seat beyond...








 With Sir Walter Scott...


No comments:

Post a Comment