"Our Time of Troubles... commenced with the catastrophic events of the year of 1914... Our civilization has just begun to recover." - Arnold Toynbee

Monday, June 17, 2013

A Temporal Farewell and a New Beginning




Friends,


Tomorrow, I will be leaving for a summer stay at Piety Hill; the Imladris of those who are in hiding from the storm of post-modern academia. There, I will be on research fellowship to further local historiography and to help host lectures, seminars, etc. I will be returning every Sunday for church in Midland.

In the meantime, I believe I am changing my approach to blogging. Before I launched Landmarks of Liberty for the Mackinac Center for Public Policy, I was largely disinterested in blogs and very hesitant to blog at all. This disinterest is returning to me, and I am generally dissatisfied with my "research" on Landmarks and here. It lacked a scholarly edge and mostly celebrated in the moments of history which I still find personally encouraging. If it holds any merit at all, it would be in the fact that I have maintained and extended some friendships through my blogs, and also began refining a Christian, homely historical narrative which is lacking in most present scholarly histories. You may expect some more picture posts with some quips from me or some sermons links from our church, but beyond that, I really think I ought to confine my pen to the publishable page, and work hard to elevate the scholarly method which I have developed through graduate school. I may also begin a personal memoir instead of posting my thoughts to the world. The internet is becoming rather too burdensome for me. Please feel free to continue to email me. That, at least, I can handle.

In parting, I would like to seriously recommend following my pastor's blog Joshua Judges Ruth. I can not recommend it highly enough.

Ever yours,
Wesley

No comments:

Post a Comment