"Our Time of Troubles... commenced with the catastrophic events of the year of 1914... Our civilization has just begun to recover." - Arnold Toynbee

Friday, October 19, 2012

Thesis Correspondence X: The Brus

Dear Dr. _____,

Well, I'm tackling Robert the Bruce's epic poem written by John Barbour, Archdeacon of Aberdeen in the 1300s. I think it will make sense of the Grameid for me, as there's much about dynastic succession, personal inheritance, title, nobility, free domains, and Classical imagery in it. It's a little heavy going (I've attached a page for you to take a quick look). [Click into the image above to read some of it.] I am in a world of knights in shinning armor without any 19th century Romantic intermediary interpretations! It is every bit as glamorous this way. This may take me a bit. More updates to come...

Wesley

No comments:

Post a Comment